30.2 C
Lagos
Monday, June 21, 2021

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus ”set to be banned from the Champions League this week”

Must read

FG seeks law to regulate social and online media

The Federal Government has asked the House of Representatives to amend the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) act to empower...

Man, 39, arrested for allegedly defiling 12-year-old girl in Kwara

A 39-year-old man, Segun Oni, has been arrested by operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for allegedly defiling...

Pastor allegedly kills wife, buries corpse in shallow grave in Akwa Ibom

One pastor Enoch has allegedly killed his wife and buried her in a shallow grave in Akwa Ibom state. 

Unknown Gunmen Behead Imo Lawmaker’s Gateman, Set House Ablaze

Unknown gunmen on Wednesday attacked the country home of the member representing Orsu State Constituency in the Imo State House of Assembly,...

Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Juventus are reportedly set to be banned from the Champions League this week. 


The three European giants are facing disciplinary proceedings from FIFA over their plans to form the European Super League.


They have insisted that they are within their rights to form a new competition and claim that UEFA and FIFA have no right to get in their way.

 Of the dozen clubs to form the new breakaway league outside UEFA’s control, only Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus are still on board.  

The other nine, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea, and Manchester City, signed a letter of apology to UEFA and pledged to give £12.9m to grassroots football.   


La Liga president and UEFA Executive Committee member Javier Tebas said on Tuesday June 1, that Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus should be ‘scared’ of the outcome of UEFA’s disciplinary proceedings against them.


And Italian outlet la Repubblica claims the three clubs will be kicked out of the Champions League this week. 

‘The ones that have to be scared are Real Madrid and Barcelona,’ Tebas told ESPN. ‘I don’t want to imagine a Champions [League] without them but it can happen.


‘More than a sanction, UEFA may opt not to register Madrid, and Barca in the Champions. I think they could be left out. They should be scared.’


Barcelona’s president pledged last week to go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if UEFA take sanctions.


‘I told [UEFA president Aleksander] Ceferin that we were not going to apologise and that we were not going to pay a fine that is unjustifiable. If they fine us, we will go to the CAS,” Joan Laporta said. 


‘We will fight to protect the interests of Barcelona and to develop a model of football that is sustainable. All clubs are losing money.” 

- Advertisement -

More articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisement -

Latest article

FG seeks law to regulate social and online media

The Federal Government has asked the House of Representatives to amend the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) act to empower...

Man, 39, arrested for allegedly defiling 12-year-old girl in Kwara

A 39-year-old man, Segun Oni, has been arrested by operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for allegedly defiling...

Pastor allegedly kills wife, buries corpse in shallow grave in Akwa Ibom

One pastor Enoch has allegedly killed his wife and buried her in a shallow grave in Akwa Ibom state. 

Unknown Gunmen Behead Imo Lawmaker’s Gateman, Set House Ablaze

Unknown gunmen on Wednesday attacked the country home of the member representing Orsu State Constituency in the Imo State House of Assembly,...

Can Obasanjo grant you guys this latitude?”- Labor Minister, Chris Ngige, tackles Nigerians who always attack President Buhari

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, says President Buhari has tolerated a lot from critics of his Government who now see...