The Northern Youth Coalition that recently handed a three-month quit notice to Igbos living in the northern region insisted on the quit notice.
The coalition gave the controversial ultimatum that has been condemned by may Nigerians on June 6, saying Igbos should leave the north before October 1.
Speaking to journalists on Thursday in Kano, the chairman of the coalition, Nastura Shariff, in the company of the National President of Arewa Consultative Youth Forum, Shettima Yerima, explained that the quit notice was just an aspect of many other demands they had made.
”We have never at any given time lifted that quit notice, because if we are to do so, it would have been after a meeting that would be called soon.”
Mr. Shettima had earlier told Premium Times that the group would review its stance on the quit notice and make its position known after a meeting.
Thursday’s press briefing implies the group did not change its stance after its meeting.
Mr. Shariff said that apart from the quit notice, they had also written to the United Nations on the violent activities of the leader of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, urging them to declare him a terrorist and his agitation illegal.
He said they were still expecting a response from the UN which would guide their next move.
– Premium Times