While it seems that all the tasty stuff is prohibited, it’s far from being so. There are plenty of delicious foods out there that are not just allowed for people with high blood pressure but are recommended since they can keep it at bay.
- Fruits and vegetables – They are high in magnesium and potassium that help lower blood pressure levels. Pay special attention to apples, bananas, apricots, broccoli, carrots, melons, oranges, peaches, potatoes and tangerines.
- Leafy greens – They are also high in potassium and help your kidneys get rid of extra sodium. Pay attention to arugula, kale, collard greens, and spinach.
- Berries – Most berries but especially blueberries are rich in flavonoids. One study found that this compound leads to decrease in blood pressure.
- Beets – Nitrates found in beet juice can reduce the blood pressure levels within 24 hours.
- Skim milk – Calcium is essential to keeping blood pressure levels in check. Skim milk is a great low-fat calcium source.
- Oatmeal – This high-fiber, low-fat, and low-sodium food is perfect for avoiding blood pressure increase.
- Fat-free plain yogurt – It’s fat-free and high in magnesium, potassium, and calcium. Such yogurt can keep the blood pressure at bay.
- Tilapia – This white fish contains plenty of magnesium and potassium. It’s tasty too.